Saturday, August 1, 2009

Evil Trait #3: Parents reward the child most like themselves (and punish those that aren't.)

1(800) SUICIDE


Abuse-by-Proxy.


Anonymous (July 29,2009) said, "I've spent my life believing that you can never call someone evil... I know better now... Specifically I would like to hear more about specific traits or common behaviors that identify someone as evil... I think there are identifiable traits..."

Yes, there are identifiable traits. I will do my best to list list them.

But -- as always -- I want feedback. If you have traits you believe identify Evil People, by all means: let me know.

The difference between narcissists and Evil People is that narcissists seem to be unaware of the basic humanity -- the differences -- between themselves and their children. This results in the narcissist trampling all over the child's own likes and dislikes, belief systems, etc. It is willful, but not necessarily premeditated.

With the Evil Parent, it is willful and premeditated.  It arises out of plotting, and planning.

Narcissism is a crime of omission: an unawareness of otherness, and so that otherness gets ignored, set-aside, and walked upon. It is as if they are trying to erase the child.

Evil is a crime of commission. The Evil Parent is acutely aware of the difference of the good child, and they hate it like fire. So they set about punishing the good child (or children), and rewarding the bad children, until they have either destroyed those children, or molded them to their own image.

The Abuse-by-Proxy example: my younger sister was the rotten kid. She would ruin games, pick fights, destroy my property, and later, feign innocence. I would complain to my mother, who would say, "Oh well, you're bigger; I expect more of you."

At the time, (when I was nine, ten or eleven) I assumed this was moral laziness on her part. She knew this daughter was a turd, but didn't want to take the time to straighten out her own child, even though most mothers would welcome a chance to guide their child. I know I need to hear when one of my children has done something bad; that way I can nip it in the bud while it is still fresh in the child's mind.

Reinforcing this "moral laziness" belief was that she knew I was the reasonable one. This bit of insight would also cause her to know that...

a) The wrongdoing probably was my sister's fault and,

b) She could more easily tell me to back off, than my sister.

That was a great theory, even for a ten year old. Heck, it was a great theory for a thirty year old.

When I got older though, and saw the give and take between these two, I realized my mother was much more aware than I thought. She punished the good child (me) by letting the bad child destroy me, bit by bit, day by day, and rewarded the bad child for being much like herself.

My mother was acutely aware, from my earliest memory, that I was good, and therefore "different." I also felt that -- in a general way -- I was "good" as well. I also felt that my mother had a kind of smiling condescension towards this goodness. I was an outsider. There was always -- and I mean always -- a divide between us.

This elegant, simple solution (using one child to punish another child who is not like yourself) is called Abuse-by-Proxy. It fulfills a fundamental need of the Truly Evil: my mother was able to do bad, while looking good. (Evil Trait number two.)



4 comments:

  1. YES! Your insight describes the relationship of me and my mother and my sister!

    The irony of it all is my sister was labled the "good one" and I was "trouble" --- but it is for the reasons you said. She was more able to be molded by mother and I was not. It is easier to understand why I was "trouble" in her eyes.

    My sister is basically a 12 year old in a 28 year old's body. She is 100% under their control with no life skills. My parents must want it this way b/c they don't take the steps necessary to change it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree your insight is so true. Your whole blog is great.

    In my upbringing, my two sisters and I all had to go to the same schools, all be secretaries, all get married and have children and all live close by to her. She blamed it on her 1950's way of thinking. She also thought she was so practical with that thinking except that my two sisters never married and didn't have kids. They both didn't like their secretarial careers that they entered feeling they had no choice.

    I was the different one who wanted to go to the co-ed high school, but my enabling father went along with her. Ironically, I met my husband at a party in my senior year of high school.

    NM was happy with me for marrying into a German Catholic family until I confided to my Narcissist sister (like a friend) that my husband stopped going to weekly church with me. My NM went on for years about my in-laws "not religious enough", my children not attending parachial school and my sister-in-law marrying another Catholic in an Episcopalian Church (she got permission to do so, but my FOO, my husband and I didn't know).

    I got scapegoated once I didn't live the same life as her. The "icing on the cake" was when I moved out-of-state from living fifteen minutes away (ironic that she didn't care that she moved forty-minutes away from her cold unemotional mother and married my father who my Grandma said was too old as he was nine years older than her).

    I had only seen my NM as controlling until my husband told me she was very Narcissist. My older sister is in her Narcissist Web(also very immature).

    My two sisters could be molded, but not me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my NMother tried to do this to myself and my GoldenChild brother for years... sometimes she was successful but as things wore on she was not.

    Great post great blog! I am linking to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Barbara: Thank you. Please link to, or take, anything you need.
    T.

    ReplyDelete