Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Evil Trait #4: Any Loss of Control is Seen as Complete Loss of Control, or: 
Never give an Inch...
 
After spending every single Christmas with the my freak Family of Origin -- well into adulthood -- I wanted one Christmas with my family.

One.


I didn't ask them; I'm not a supplicant. I told them. I could hear the frosty reception, but I couldn't even guess at what came next.


My older sister called, and said our brother was going out of town for Christmas...could I come for a "going away" party? It was on December 15. I said, "Sure."


When my spouse and I got there, we placed our gifts for the freak family on the floor, in an open space, and I noticed that their gifts to us were shoved behind a chair. So much for grabbing them and stuffing them in the car for a hasty getaway. We didn't want the gifts; we wanted the hasty getaway.


I tried to make small talk with Older Sister, and she gave me a look that froze me to my bones: it was the most slanted-eye, pinched-lip, Evil Face I have ever seen. It took my breath away. It took me years to figure it out, and here it is: she hated me for "forcing" her to move Christmas to the 15th.


Yup, you guessed it (I sure didn't): they"had" to move Christmas to the 15th because I had "forced" them to.


I didn't fu**ing "force" anything: I didn't want Christmas with them. I was sick of the pretense of being a loving family. I had a loving family. My Family of Origin  had nothing to offer except each other... and their hatred. But that didn't jibe with the image of a loving family, so they moved Christmas to the 15th!


After being very confused (and repulsed) by my sister's Evil Face (confusion is a normal reaction around the Perfectly Evil -- M. Scott Peck) I made small talk. Our mother was late -- very late. I was actually worried about her.


Hah!


When she did arrive it was almost comical. She had on a long black coat -- almost a cape -- and she roared into the room in an absolute towering rage. She spun around in the room -- enraged -- and I asked, "Why were you late? You kept everyone waiting." Meaning: How rude of you.


"None of your Goddamn business!" Oh, really? I wasn't scared; I was furious. I wanted to spend as little time as possible in the stink of my Evil siblings, and the She-beast just dragged it out.


Ah, that was it. It took me several days to work it out, but she had dragged it out on purpose. She wanted her adult, all-grown-up-children to spend as much time as possible with each other...bonding.


Then, while I was sitting on the couch next to my spouse, wondering, "Have I put in enough time so that I can go now?" my Evil Older Sister pulled out some gifts from behind the chair and started handing them out!


I froze. It was a set-up after all. She handed some to me and my husband, and we just set them on the floor. The other jerks started opening theirs and oohing and ahhing.


You know how you're in the nut house, so you do just enough to appease the crazies? We smiled, but we (by silent mutual consent) refused to open our gifts. This accidentally turned out to be the right thing to do. They grew more and more embarrassed at their faux Christmas, and when we finally said, "Well, it's time to go," they sighed with relief.


We gathered up the gifts and left.


If you're wondering why we didn't pitch a fit and walk out without any presents: I knew (in my heart) I was going to go No Contact with them, and that this was a trial run on how they would handle me not spending a Christmas with them (um, not well). Since I was never going to speak to them again, there was no point in grandstanding. We get up on a box and shout only when we want someone to listen.


I knew they would never listen. Ever. They would never hear me.


I was also breathless at the Evil Face I saw on my sister. It was the real deal...and absolutely shocking.


In summation: They don't want me to spend Christmas with them because they loooove me...they hate me.


They want me to spend Christmas with them because it controls where I am on this day, and they would control all of my days if they could.


So this one Christmas was spun out in their minds as: Well, if we give her this one, she might want another one, and then she'll get ideas. She'll get a taste of freedom, and that's not acceptable at all.


So forget trying to compromise with the Evil Relatives: the Truly Evil are incapable of compromise.


Any loss of control is seen as complete loss of control.

7 comments:

  1. When I was reading your story, it was like I was at my parent's house, my sister giving me the evil face and my mother making her grand enterence disgustingly late. I could even see the presents behind the chair in their living room.

    And I can understand the feeling - its not about the presents, it is about the hasty retreat!

    This coming Christmas will be the first one I plan to spend away from FOO. I wonder how it will play out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family can be stressful and controlling, but your family out and out sucks. Sadly, this sort of behavior is not entirely uncommon. I blog about psych issues and thus have met many other psych bloggers. Boy there are some horror stories out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the evil face. I have seen it on my younger sister. One time she asked me out to dinner, but I guess she felt forced to and blamed me. During the meal, where we went Dutch btw, she gave me "the face". On the plus side, it's amusing to listen to her contradict herself. I would cut her off completely were it not for my niece and brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. evilpeopleiknow.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have them blocked on Facebook, they don't know my address, just my city and I am about to change my phone number (they have my current one). Forgive me if you've answered this earlier on in your blog, but how do you say the final "goodbye"? Do you bother? Religion is also on their side. "God" thinks that I am going to hell. Why? For daring to leave an abusive, psychotic ass, and therefore embarrassing them- years ago.

    I was long single, in a relationship for years, now remarried and now I'm an adulterous whore, or so I hear. I have one family member who genuinely loves me, but lives with my parents. Everyone else despises me. I worry that my sibling may be collateral damage in this situation, and that's tragic. Any recommendations on how to say "goodbye" the final time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. “Anonymous” wrote: “How do I say ‘Goodbye’?”
    My experience is, you don’t.
    You want closure; they don’t. They fully intend for you to be their victim for life. Any attempt to break free will enrage them. Just when you thought it couldn’t possibly get worse, it will get much worse.
    Your sibling is “collateral” damage (well written.) I had a sibling I could have remained friends with; he wasn’t as bad as the others.
    However, once you indicate you want to stay friends, the ball’s in his court. It’s his choice. And relatives will lay down deep, wide, and firm loyalties. As often as not, they will let fear – not love – decide who they “side” with.
    This means they side with the abusive people, for fear of retaliation.

    ReplyDelete