Monday, July 27, 2009

How do you mourn when they're not dead?

After going No Contact, One Angry Daughter said, "I had to mourn the idea of family and come to terms that my FOO would never fit that ideal."

This is so true. I found that it is no less than mourning a death, except they are still walking around.

They are are a bit like zombies to us. We want No Contact, and we fear running into them at the shopping center or grocery store, because they will tear off chunks of our still living flesh and feed off of it, as they have done so many times before.

I had to come to terms that my Family of Origin would never "fit the ideal." Ever. It's been ten years since I went No Contact, and just when I think my hide has hardened, something -- sometimes the strangest thing -- will make me cry.

You know the movie Dan in Real Life, with Steve Carell? I loved that movie on the surface of it: it was beautifully filmed, it had pitch-perfect casting, and we were supposed to weep when we saw him sleeping single in a double bed because his wife had died, leaving him with three growing daughters.

I never shed a tear over that. And I recognized the standard romantic comedy of falling for your brother's girlfriend. I walked out of the theater having enjoyed it, but I was stiff with grief over something unnamed. I didn't cry until much later, when I was all alone.

I was grieving over the three-generation hierarchy I saw in one lovely old house. The grandparents were wise, loving and funny. They weren't stupid, as so many old people are portrayed in movies. The middle-agers were struggling with marriage, loss, jobs and careers. Also realistic. The kids were just happy to be there, as children should be: care-free. Everyone was different, but they all got along. They were all happy to share what precious time there was.

I watched that knowing that I will never experience it. It will never be mine. Something that I covet will be out of my fingertips' reach, through no fault of my own. But rather merely...circumstance.

I was unlucky enough to be born amid a den of freaks.

My grandparents were dead before, or shortly after, I was born. So that generation is lost.

My parents are freaks, so that generation is "lost."

My four siblings are awful, so that generation is not an option.

Do you see where I'm heading? I could never be the child in the three-generation family: it's gone forever.

I can't be the middle-agers, because although my children are delightful, my parents and siblings are horrible. This scenario is slipping away with the passing of time.

Ah. There is a slender hope: I can be the grandparent, along with my delightful husband. If we play our cards right, and assuming (and they are free to do as they wish) my children want children themselves, we can maybe -- just maybe -- be the loving, wise, and funny grandparents in Dan in Real Life.

I treat my children with respect (and much love), so that they will want to come visit me at my house after they are independent and on their own. I treat my husband with respect (and much love) so that we may remain vibrant in our old age.

And maybe -- just maybe -- I can have the three loving, caring generations under one roof that I so covet, and cried over.

4 comments:

  1. They are like living ghost. My father and I work for the same company. The other day I happened to see him walking into work and it hit me hard.

    Somedays I'll feel at peace that I made the best decisions and then something about them will come and "haunt" me and I'll be a mess all over again.

    After I read this post, my husband just happened to rent Dan in Real life. And what you say is true - I know that type of experience isn't in my cards. But we have the power to create that kind of positive legacy for our own children.

    I'm also lucky to be blessed with in-laws that do better match what I consider an ideal family - one with love and warmth. The kind of family you play games with on Christmas Eve and look forward to doing things with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ending a relationship that lasted only a year with a man who is "evil" by many of the definitions here. I have lost a husband to death nearly 6 years ago and went through that kind of mourning. This new breakup for me is not mourning as #1 I didn't know him long and #2 he's evil so its good to be away from him.

    But the family thing that is described in this post and the replies, that makes me very sad. I'm very sorry for your loss, all of you, for you suffered your loss long before you cut these people out of your lives. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post. I am in the same situation where I often feel a sense of sadness because I have never been able to have a normal family life and it is still a bit of a gamble whether the next generation will be normal enough to live with.

    I often wonder what my life would have been like if I had been born into a family who are not some of the most awful people on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My step-father was my evil parent. We had NC for 20 years before he died. He took my mother from me.

    A wise and lovely mother-figure in my life once said to me, "We have 2 chances to be in a parent-child relationship: once when we are the child and once when we are the parent. Someone else controls the former; we control the latter."

    This has been very helpful to me. When my kids lament all that has been lost because of my SF, I remind them that their father and I will provide all THAT that they are missing for them and their children.

    ReplyDelete